Food Obsession of the Moment: Soup… Diet? Day 1.

3 Jan

I’ve really been obsessed with soup for, like, the past year, if I’m honest. I love to cook, and am a very competent “chef”, but soup is the one thing I feel like I can wing and it turns out great 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I try something only for myself and don’t have high hopes for it anyway, so it pretty much doesn’t even count. Oh yes, I follow soup recipes as well, but more often than not I’ll look at a recipe, want to make it, then set out making it and end up using only like 3 of the ingredients or one of the methods included in the recipe. Soups make me happy. I can get lost in making soups, just thinking about what else I can add to blend with the other flavors. Now that I’ve discovered the wonders of making soup, I’m pretty sure if I lived alone I’d probably make it multiple times a week. But, alas, my husband craves meat and not all soups contain meat. Which brings me to our soup diet.

As mothers tend to do, when we were in England for Christmas my mother-in-law stuffed us to the brim with delicious food the entire time. We went to the gym 4 times while we were there, but it did absolutely nothing to balance out the caloric intake we withstood for 12 days! While we were there I read an article in Bon Appetit magazine where a family does a soup cleanse to start their new year. There were two recipes included, but really I just liked the idea that I could probably convince my meat obsessed husband to eat soup for an entire week since we both put on about 20 lbs over the holidays (only a slight exaggeration). I told him about it and he liked the idea, and even upped the ante to 2 weeks! He said since we had 2 weeks of overindulgence, we should have 2 weeks of soup diet to even it out. Works for me! So it was decided that we would have soup for a meal at least once a day until January 12th (ok, only 12 days, but we have a gift certificate to a restaurant we love that expires that day, so that’s our cutoff!). I’m shooting for twice a day for myself, since I’ll bring in leftover soup to work for lunch, but he won’t.

We started New Year’s Day, using the Restorative Beef Broth recipe from Bon Appetit as a guide. But really the only thing that was the same was the idea of a beef broth.

My Beef Broth Recipe:
– 1 tbs. olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 6 cups beef broth (I used the cubes, Bon Appetit used short ribs and strained them out)
– 1 1/2 tbs. chopped garlic
– 2 tbs. flaxseed
– 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Cook onions in olive oil until tender and delicious-smelling. Add broth, garlic, flaxseed (helps with digestion, but also thickens the soup just a bit), and sea salt.

I know it’s just a broth, but it was delicious. And my hubby said so as well. It was more of an onion soup than a broth I guess, but whatever. We’re eating healthy, yay!

I may or may not have added shredded cheese on top of mine. Um… dairy’s still healthy.

He was hungry 2 hours later (we had the broth for lunch and agreed we’d get salads from our favorite cafe for dinner). I guess that’s the downside of this diet/cleanse/whatever you want to call it. We’re now used to eating such ginormous portions that just soup is hard for our stomachs to adjust to! But adjust we will… besides, we’re not doing it for a whole year, only 12 days!

I promise the other recipes are more exciting than beef broth. 🙂

xxx

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Food Obsession of the Moment: Soup… Diet? Day 1.”

  1. Ryann January 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

    So funny that you just posted this!
    I made two soups yesterday to eat this week and some to freeze.
    Both actually have meat and beans in them – so they may make Tim happy.
    Soup is a great way to get the nutrients you need and stay low cal…AND its easy to make ahead of time, making it harder to screw up on your ‘diet’.
    Let me know if you want the recipe for either one.

    xoxo

  2. Cyndi January 3, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

    yes please! i love new soup recipes!

  3. Susie Beilby January 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

    Really funny Cyndi. i dont apologise for the excess of food presented to you over Christmas. just sorry i missed 2 meals while you were delayed. you are welcome to my roasted butter squash recipe as it has no dairy, no fat, no meat and is very filling. x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: