8 Feb

… (that lots of you now know) – we’re buying a house! Like, as in offer accepted, contracts signed. Not like we’re looking to buy a house. Yeah, it, uh, kinda happened fast.

It went a little something like this…

We were going to start house hunting February 4th, because I wasn’t in town the weekend before. Our agent was recommended to us through a friend who lives in the area we were looking to buy. I contacted said agent, he sent me 27 houses to look at, I told him I couldn’t physically go look until the 4th, he said he’d look and see if the places we liked out of the 27 were still “active” the week of the 4th. Which terrified me because even though I picked 8, there were 2 or 3 that I was pretty sure I was in love with, ONE for sure. And yes, when I say I picked, I mean I picked. My husband told me to pick and that he didn’t need to see them until we saw them in person. This is why I love him. I did show him the listings before he went but he put up a fuss about it. I didn’t want to deal with the mortgage rates and such, he didn’t want to look at houses online. Worked out for both of us!

So after our agent scared the bejesus out of me, I rearranged my schedule a bit and we ended up going house hunting for the first time on January 28th. We… also put an offer down on a house that afternoon. Lol.

I was telling people leading up to the day that I felt like this could be the first and last time we go house hunting, and it was a little scary to think about! Our agent told us the day before we were going house hunting that our #2 house was now under contract, and that our #1 house had an offer and acceptance… but no contract. I asked him what that meant and I guess long story short, the sellers weren’t happy with the buyers, but they were relocating to Florida very very soon so needed to take the offer. When they found out someone else (us) expressed interest in looking at the house, they decided not to sign the contracts and let us see it. I knew from the photos there would have to be something majorly, majorly disfunctional about this house in order for me not to love it. So when we crossed the threshold I was like “F*#$. I love it.” The swearing actually happened, multiple times, because we didn’t know the whole story at the time and I really didn’t want to get into a bidding war and potentially lose this house that we love!

It was just as perfect (in our eyes) as it was in the listing. We had no choice but to make an offer immediately, or it would’ve been gone. Oh, I should probably tell you that no, this was not the first house we looked at. We looked at 3 others we weren’t impressed with, then this one, and we just decided not to go see what would’ve been the 5th of the day. It wasn’t ranked that high on my list anyway.

After we sat down with our real estate agent and wrote up our offer, I was off to my Mom’s house for a few days as planned (just a little later than planned).

For the remainder of Saturday, we heard nothing.

On Sunday my mom and I were out shopping at the ReStore (if you haven’t heard of it, look it up, there’s probably one near you and they’re awesome!), where I found a beautiful coffee table for super cheap and called my husband to beg him to not kill me for buying it when we didn’t have anywhere to put it. He said, and I quote, “Get it if you want to tempt fate.” To which I responded that I wanted this coffee table no matter what house we get, so it’s not tempting fate! As I was pacing around with the sales ticket in my hand so no one else could buy it, I got a text from our agent saying the seller’s agent had texted him she was on her way to see the sellers and that it looked good for us. Squee! omg. omg. omg. More pacing ensued. I bought the coffee table. We left and went to another store and then I got the call – they accepted our offer! Yay!! But it was in our best interest to give them the initial deposit check and sign all the contracts ASAP… aka before the other buyers decided to make a higher offer. Did I mention I wasn’t home, and my husband was? I was 2 hours from home, and was going to be until Tuesday afternoon. So that day we finished our errands as quickly as possible, did some money transfers, failed miserably at finding a Citizens Bank in North Jersey, I signed and scanned the contract (each page individually, since we couldn’t figure out how to feed my mom’s printer!) to our agent, who then drove to our house so that my husband could sign as well (he doesn’t drive). It was a stressful day, and trust me, that’s an understatement!

Another long story short: the sellers were no longer the sellers because the man’s relocation company for his work took over as being the sellers. If that makes sense. So now we are no longer dealing with two people, we are dealing with a corporation. A corporation that probably gets like 1,000 contracts like ours a day. Cue more stress: we didn’t get the countersigned contracts back UNTIL YESTERDAY. Over a week later. We rushed around, and they took their sweet old time. So, you see, this is why I haven’t really been able to talk about it yet – because while we liked to think that we were buying a house, we didn’t have the contracts back to be sure, so I was banned from talking about it on my blog or facebook until NOW. It was like a literal weight off our shoulders. I mean, last weekend we even started packing, and felt pretty silly doing so, but if the contract went through our closing was going to be the end of March, and trust me when I tell you that I have a LOT of stuff that needs to be packed. A LOT.

So… house! Yay! We’re so excited! And now… packing! Boooo. I have a feeling you’re not going to hear from me very much in the next two months. My time will be spent (besides working) hoarding boxes, packing, changing addresses, arranging utilities, transportation, movers, inspections, ETC. ETC. ETC. Oy.

But I know that once we move in I’ll have lotttts to post about, because I’ll be making my home awesome and documenting it all along the way. 🙂

Also, I do have a Valentine’s day project to share with you, but it’s not finished yet so… as soon as it’s done (enough to take some photos), I’ll post it for you. Yes, I realize I now have less than a week. (Yikes.)



One Response to “BREAKING NEWS”


  1. I Made Something Awesome: Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches « Home Made Awesome - March 1, 2012

    […] three weeks ago (Yes, three weeks ago. I’ve been a little busy packing up my life, so… yeah… sorry!) I made one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve ever had […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: